In Episode 008 of The Former Lawyer Podcast, Sarah has a conversation with Alex Davis. Alex is a former lawyer who is now a writer, content expert, and consultant. Alex’s company, Davis Legal Media, helps attorneys and firms create content strategies to attract their ideal clients.
In this conversation, Alex shares:
- How she decided she was going to be a lawyer at a very young age;
- Why “you’re so good at arguing” is not a good reason to go to law school;
- Why she “hit the accelerator” towards a traditional legal career after starting law school without really considering whether that career would be a good fit;
- How the sunk costs fallacy holds law students and lawyers back;
- Why litigation was not a good fit for her personality type;
- Why she struggled with feeling like there was something wrong with her when she realized she didn’t like practicing law;
- Why she wishes The Former Lawyer Podcast was around when she felt stuck in her lawyer job (hey thanks! 🙂 );
- The struggle with feeling directionless once she realized she didn’t want to work as a lawyer;
- How she got the idea for her next move from work she was doing for her own firm;
- The “plan” she had (air quotes her own!) for the company she founded after she left legal practice;
- What content marketing for lawyers is and how it differs from advertising;
- Why she thinks we need to flip the script about lawyers and anxiety;
- How personality typing systems like the Enneagram can help you understand yourself and what career might be the best fit for you;
- Why we need to challenge the false narrative that you have failed if you decide you don’t like working as a lawyer;
- and much more!
Interested in the Enneagram? Here are some resources to check out:
- https://assessment.yourenneagramcoach.com/ (free)
- https://www.truity.com/test/enneagram-personality-test (free)
- https://tests.enneagraminstitute.com/ ($12)
Take the guesswork out of your first steps to leaving the law by grabbing Sarah’s free guide at formerlawyer.com/guide!
Pre-order the Jump Start mini-course at formerlawyer.com/jumpstart!