In Episode 015 of The Former Lawyer Podcast, Sarah talks with Simi Botic, who worked as a corporate healthcare associate at a law firm for almost four years before leaving to run her own business. Simi is a certified holistic health coach, Intuitive Eating counselor, and the author of Letting Go Of Leo: How I Broke Up With Perfection, a memoir about overcoming her decades long struggle with feeling like she wasn’t enough. Through her work, she helps women all over the world ditch perfection and heal their relationships with food and body image so they can begin to embrace their beautifully imperfect lives.
In this conversation, Simi shares about:
- Going to law school because she wasn’t sure what else to do with her sociology degree;
- Why her dad thought she should go to law school, and how him telling her that from a young age affected her thought process about law school;
- The role that her perfectionist personality played into getting her into law school and keeping her there;
- How graduating in 2011 affected her feelings about the job offer she received from a firm in her hometown of Columbus;
- Why her personality was such a bad fit for litigation, and how a move to a different practice area was her saving grace;
- How her side hustle helped her realize that the practice of law was not for her;
- How she built up her business on the side to the point that it could replace her income from her firm job before leaving the law;
- The value of playing the long game in leaving the law, and how to approach your legal job if your plan to leave is a long-term one;
- How to go about figuring out what you should do career-wise if you want to leave the law, but aren’t sure what’s next;
- and much more!
- Get Sarah’s free guide, First Steps to Leaving the Law
- Connect with Simi on her website or on Instagram, and check out her book