In Episode 018 of The Former Lawyer Podcast, Sarah talks with Marissa Geannette. Marissa walked away from a successful biglaw career after nearly eight years, and now works as a freelance writer and blogs on her site, The Unbillable Life.
In this conversation, Marissa shares about:
- Why she started blogging after leaving biglaw, but kept the blog anonymous at first;
- Why she no longer blogs anonymously (you can read her blog post about it here);
- How she just sort of fell into her practice area;
- Why she started thinking about leaving the law after only one year of practice, but stayed for over 6 more years after that point;
- How preoccupied she was with what people would think if she left legal practice;
- Why she doesn’t think you need to know what you want to do next in order to leave the law;
- How she started getting freelance writing jobs;
- What led her to write a book for junior associates;
- Why she wishes she had been more open about how unhappy she was working in biglaw before she left;
- What held her back from leaving the law, and why she doesn’t want you to make the same mistake;
- and much more!
- Get Sarah’s free guide, First Steps to Leaving the Law
- Connect with Marissa on her website or on Twitter
- Buy the Former Lawyer Jump Start