In Episode 025 of The Former Lawyer Podcast, Sarah talks with Risa Weaver-Enion. Risa graduated from Duke Law School and worked a handful of jobs in the legal industry while she and her husband moved around the country for his job. Five years ago, Risa started her own event and wedding planning company, Risa James Events, as a side hustle, and in 2017, she transitioned to running her business full-time.
In this conversation, Risa shares about:
- Why she’s half-serious when she says she went to law school out of spite (you do not want to miss this story!);
- How she hated all the legal classes she took in undergrad and was convinced she shouldn’t go to law school;
- What receiving a breakup letter by FedEx has to do with her changing her mind and deciding to go to law school;
- Hating law school as soon as it started and seriously considering dropping out;
- Why she turned down an offer from her 2L summer firm;
- Quitting her first job as a lawyer after only one month;
- Where she got the idea to pursue event planning, and how she moved into that market;
- What made her decide to take her event and wedding planning side hustle full-time;
- Why she didn’t care what people thought when she decided not to be a lawyer anymore, and why she doesn’t think becoming a lawyer was a waste;
- and much more!