In Episode 031 of The Former Lawyer Podcast, I’m sharing my conversation with Adam Kol. Adam practiced tax law before leaving to become a couples financial counselor.
In this conversation, Adam shares about:
- The way that the expectations of others drove him to law school;
- Quitting his tax lawyer job at Deloitte to spend a year as an animal activist supported by his savings;
- Working at a non-profit as a lawyer supporting initiatives to combat homelessness;
- Why he started coaching people as a side hustle;
- How his life got out of balance and how he identified what needed to change;
- How getting laid off spurred him to focus on his coaching practice full-time;
- Stumbling into the niche of couples financial counseling;
- Seeing his clients’ lives change when they are able to communicate about money and problem-solve regarding their money together;
- Dealing with loved ones’ disappointment and anger about leaving his legal career;
- His advice on how to start a conversation about money for lawyers who have a partner and are wanting to make a career change;
- and much more!