In Episode 033 of The Former Lawyer Podcast, I’m sharing my conversation with Gaby Abrams. Gaby left legal practice five years ago and opened an online stationery shop on Etsy, Casa Confetti.
In this conversation, Gaby shares about:
- Thinking all through college she would head to med school, and then deciding to go to law school instead;
- Going to law school thinking that you can do anything with a law degree (and why she thinks that was misguided);
- Her dad, who was a litigator, telling her “don’t be a lawyer, whatever you do!”, and why she didn’t listen;
- Deciding very early on that she didn’t want to be a lawyer, and going into financial recruiting after law school;
- What listening to her body has to do with deciding not to practice law;
- Making the decision to practice immigration law for a time so that she would never think “what if” about pursuing legal practice;
- How she ended up starting her stationery business on Etsy in order to bridge from her firm job to whatever she would end up doing next during her unpaid maternity leave;
- How she realized that her stationery business could actually be her full-time career after making over $150k in her first two years in business;
- How she flipped the way she thought about intelligence;
- One of the biggest myths she thinks people believe about lawyers and their success in other careers;
- and much more!
- The doors to the Former Lawyer Collaborative are open! The Collaborative is my support community for high-achieving woman in legal practice who are interested in exploring other career options. Join here—> formerlawyer.com/collab
- Connect with Gaby on Instagram, her website, or by email, or with Casa Confetti on the website or Instagram