Marie Sotelo: Former Lawyer Turned Full-Time Freelance Writer (TFLP 082)
Today on the podcast I’m sharing my conversation with Marie Sotelo, who left legal practice after 10 years and built a career as a full-time freelance writer.
Marie shares how she built her career, and advice for other lawyers who want to make a living as a writer.
If you’re one of the many lawyers who dream of making a living as a writer, this episode is for you.
In this episode, marie shares about:
- How the unwritten expectation that she would continue her education beyond undergrad shaped her decision to go to law school.
- Not planning to practice law when she started law school, but ending up deciding to practice before she graduated.
- How a lack of mentorship in law school affected her ability to see what paths were open to her.
- Being told in her first review at her government job that, “You may be better in solo practice.”
- Googling “alternative law careers” early in her career and looking at a list of 50 options, but not knowing how to actually transition into any of those options.
- Quitting her government lawyer job after 10 years because of their resistance to flexible work arrangements.
- Starting her writing career by volunteering as a grant writer at a local non-profit.
- How she parleyed her volunteer work into paying grant writing gigs (and how she taught herself to write grants!).
- The process she followed when she decided to move out of grant writing into copy and content writing, and what she does to position herself for higher-paying writing jobs.
- Why being a lawyer has been an asset and how it works as one of her “credibility markers” for landing writing jobs.
connect with marie:
- Marie’s Facebook group for lawyers who want to write: https://www.facebook.com/groups/woolies
Mentioned In This Episode:
Listen to this episode on:
How do you find a non-law job ASAP? A lot of lawyers reach a stage where they are DONE and just want to find something, anything to get them some space from legal practice. I'm often asked for advice about how to look for a non-law job in this situation. What should...
I can't even tell you how many times I Googled "alternative careers for lawyers" while I was working in Biglaw. It was . . . a lot. I hated being a lawyer. Since you're here, I'm guessing that's you as well. You realize that you want to leave legal practice. Or you...
Have you found yourself crying in your office, or on the way to the office, or when working at home? Your Job Should Not Make You Cry Crying because of your job is weirdly normalized in the legal profession. In episode 042 of the podcast, I share why your job should...